The History of the Gun and Shell Factory And exhibition from 13th to 19th december in Cossipore

Exhibition from 13th to 19th december

gun and shell factory exhibition
Gun and shell factory , Cossipore

As part of ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’ and India’s 75th independence day, defense products will be held at the gun and shell factory Cossipore from December 13 to 19.
The Ministry of Defence is organizing such exhibitions at 75 locations.


The Ordnance Factory in Cossipore, Gun and shell factory, a Progressive Weapons and Equipment India unit, will display modern defense outcomes and vintage weapons used in World War II. The exhibition, to be inaugurated by the Defence Minister via video conference, will be available to the general public, including learners from schools and institutes, between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.

Gate of GSF
Vintage look of Gun & shell factory

History

The director of ordnance factories is responsible for the Gun and Shell Factory administration in Cossipore. The factory is a federal government organization that regulates manufacturing facilities across India. The governing body of the corporation is the Director-General of Ordinance. The company has an unblemished record. The directors were all former officers of the military. The plant’s production stood posted by the introduction of electric power in 1872. In 1890, they modernized the factories to meet the increasing demands of the army.

A rolling mill was built in the factory in 1896 to supply different ordnance factories. In 1903, they shifted the metallurgical units to Ishapore as Cossipore did not expand. They started the production of guns and shells at the Cossipore Gun and Shell Factory in 1804. they extended the production of these guns and bullets in 1807. Later, the show was stopped and later resumed. In 1814, the company moved its operations to Allahabad and Fatehgarh. The company continued to operate there until 1829. Finally, the company closed the Cossipore facility in November 1829.

Before Independence

view of factory when established
GSF when established

The Gun and Shell Factory is one of the oldest and largest ordnance factories globally. The East India Company established it in 1801 and began manufacturing guns and gun carriages. The company grew from a maker of bullock-driver contraptions to a manufacturer of modern weapons systems. The Cossipore Gun and Shell Factory still operate today, manufacturing a variety of medium-caliber shells, fuses, and primers. In 1830, the Cossipore Gun and Shell Factory expanded its operations and set up a gun foundry. The factory also makes anti-aircraft guns, shells, and other military equipment. And, it is also one of the oldest operating factories in the subcontinent.

In 2002, the government allocated Rs 100 crore for the modernization of the factory, and This facility produced six types of guns and seven varieties of howitzers.

exhibition products
Exhibition items

After independence, the Cossipore foundry started casting brass guns and iron shells. The company’s court recognized it for its efforts in manufacturing guns. Capt Archdale Wilson’s superintendent was the first officer appointed as the factory’s superintendent. The foundry could produce up to thirty artillery guns per month, and the company ordered them to operate in night shifts. The Gun and Shell Factory is a government-owned corporation in Cossipore.

It is a museum that features antique brass cannons built-in in 1757. The first floor houses document the evolution of the oldest ordnance factory in Southeast Asia, established in 1801. The company’s production was diversified, and it is still active today. The museum is open for visitors. The gun and shell factory in Cossipore was the East India Company’s first foundry location. The company was based in Cossipore after independence. Its main business was to produce steel. The company also manufactured the first public-sector tractors.

More

Although it is a historical site, Cossipore does not have a history. It is a museum of its times. The Gun and Shell Factory in Cossipore was established in 1801. The factory was located in the suburbs of the city. It served the needs of the East Indian Company. It is situated near the Hooghly River. In this area, three ghats are located. The Pramanick Ghat is within the Baranagar complex, and the Ratan Babu Ghat is at the west end of Cossipore. The Gun and Shell Factory in Cossipore created an immense socio-economic impact in its neighborhood. The central community that was directly affected by the factory is Baranagar. Ghats surround the area on the Hooghly River.

toop in front of gate

The Pramanick Ghat is located within Baranagar, and the Ratan Babu Ghat is opposite. This is a necessary ghat, as it helps anglers access the river. The petitioner, an employee of the Ordnance Factory Board, is the father of a differently-abled boy. Asit Baran Raut expressed that he is seeking admission for his son in the KVS Cossipore. The court ordered the suspension of the man and his son. He is in the right to make the decision. If the government refuses to do so, the court should reverse the order.

Leave a Comment